These are the Top Golden Rules for Pinterest.
Before you begin reading this article please familiarise yourself with our previous article on the 10 Pinterest Statistics Every Social Media Manager Should Know, it will ensure that you understand why you should open a Pinterest Business Account.
In a nutshell, the best Golden Rules are:
- Create a Pinterest Business Account
- Claim your Website
- Optimize Your Board
- Your visuals matter
- Pin description and URL strategy.
- 5 elements of a great Pin
- User engagement.
- Schedule your Content.
- Integrate keywords and hashtags
- Monitor your analytics.
1. Create a Pinterest Business Account
It takes just seconds to set up your business profile on Pinterest and its free. If you want to reach more people or build your brand’s presence on Pinterest you have to create a Business Account.
Why should you set up a business account?
The answer is that it unlocks additional audience insights that you can utilize when planning content. We recommend using Pinterest analytics coupled with Heropost analytics for a full surgical insight and on top of that our metrics help with audience analytics both total and engaged, a comprehensive view of your Pins’ impressions, saves, and link clicks and board overviews to effectively analyze your boards, view all-time pins and all-time followers. Lastly with Pinterest Business yo will have access to Pinterest Ads Manager which you can then use to drive traffic and grow your customer base by integrating campaigns and creating compelling ads.
2. Claim your Website
Claim your website to ensure that your name and profile picture will appear on every Pin that has your content and a small globe icon will appear next to your website URL on your profile. Claiming your website is extremely important because when someone else Pins from your claimed website, your profile photo appears as subtle branding. Claiming your website are the two basic must-have steps for gaining access to your analytics.
3. Optimize Your Board
Think of the boards as categories that you will use for organizing your pin. For example, if you have a web design blog and you’ll be pinning content related to web design, you may have boards like HTML, Photoshop, web design tutorials, and WordPress. These boards will drive up traffic if carefully optimised. when you are naming your boards, be sure to put relevant keywords in the board names. DO NOT come up with cute catchy names because, in terms of SEO, they may not be not keyword optimized. Think about the types of content that you will be pinning and the keywords that other people might use to search for that content.
****HEROPOST-TIP: DO NOT DELETE YOUR BOARDS. If you delete a board on Pinterest, you will lose all of your followers on that board since users can choose to follow a user of just their boards. If you no longer want to see a board, you can change it to a Secret or an Archived Board. Be careful because once you archive a board, you can no longer Pin content to that board.*******
4. Your visuals matter
Pinterest states that “The highest performing profiles on Pinterest always have beautiful imagery to match.”
There are two points we at Heropost believe you should incorporate in your Pins:
Firstly Your Pin Title should be descriptive and informative, but also short and easy to digest. Allow your readers to know what the Pin will be about through your chosen title.
Secondly, Your Pin Images, According to Pinterest, the best aspect ratio for Pinterest images is 2:3, with a minimum width of 600 pixels, such as 600 pixels wide by 900 pixels tall or 800 pixels wide by 1,200 pixels tall.
You must understand that you title your pins and only the first 30-35 characters are most likely to show in people’s feeds especially on mobile. REMEMBER 85% of Pinterest’s users access Pinterest with their Mobile Devices, therefore, make sure you’re always thinking about functionality.
5. Pin description and URL strategy.
This is a Top Golden Rules for Pinterest and Google LOVES Pinterest! Focus on the keywords that matter most for your brand, align this with what you know about how your audience searches, what they are searching for and ultimately incorporate them into your board titles and pin descriptions. Include as much information as you can with keywords.
The video below illustrates why a good pin strategy will help you rank higher.
6. 5 elements of a great Pin
Pinterest Business came up with the best 5 elements per se your pins must have to be great:
- Pick an eye-catching image, Use high-quality, vertical images that will stand out in people’s feeds. We recommend a 2:3 aspect ratio (ex: 1000 x 1500 pixels)
- Make your brand the focal point. Put your product or service front and centre. Avoid using abstract images or lifestyle imagery that doesn’t showcase your brand.
- Give context. Your Pins should help people understand why your product or idea is the right fit for them. Pick images that show context and bring your topic to life. Clearly show how someone might use your product.
- Include your logo. Put a logo on every Pin you make, but keep it subtle. Avoid the lower right corner, since that spot gets covered up by our product icons.
- Add text overlay to tell a better story. Text overlay is the copy that goes on your Pin image. It makes your Pins stand out, adds context and enhances your message. Keep text concise so it’s easy for people to read on their phones.
The above bullet points are all the Top Golden Rules for Pinterest.
7. Keep up with the top trends for every current year
Food, Drink and Technology are the most popular categories for men. Women use Pinterest more and the stats illustrate that tutorials, How-To’s, Food & Style, Quotes and the most important one makeup.
8. Schedule your Content
With Heropost you can seamlessly integrate Pinterest Planning into your social marketing needs. Our Pin Planner has been designed and coded in such a manner that it will help you manage and simplify your social marketing initiatives across the platform.
You need to be constant and present if you want to increase your engagement rate on this platform. Scheduling enables you to free up time to create rich pins so that you can schedule them with our app. You have to view this as if it is an engine and Heropost is the best scheduling engine to help you with your marketing.
Also, look at our previous article on How Frequent Should You Post On Social Media?. This article will emphasise why you should schedule your posts.
9. Integrate keywords and hashtags
Keywords and hashtags make your pins shine more and when you use rich pins with relevant keywords you effectively increase your pins rank. Always use keywords, they are the cornerstone of you getting to the audience you want.
10. Monitor your analytics
Pinterest Business states that “Consistently measuring your activity on Pinterest can also help your business identify what types of content resonate best on this channel and with your specific audience.”
Pinterest states that these are important elements of your insights to grasp:
- Link Clicks: The total number of times people have clicked on your Pin to a destination on or off Pinterest for a specific board.
- Impressions: The total number of times your Pins were shown for a specific board.
- Saves: The total number of times people saved your Pins to a board.
- Closeups: The total number of times people viewed a closeup version of your Pin for a specific board.
I hope you understood the Top Golden Rules for Pinterest.
Sign up with Heropost to write better captions, post at your best times, track your analytics, schedule your posts and integrate your posts on all social media platforms.